Friday, November 25, 2011

RUNNING IN COLD WEATHER with KRISTY

Hilarious! And hell naw, I would never! Lol.
source

Hola Beautiful Ones!

I hope that everyone's holiday was grand. Who all ate way too much?. *raises hand* Lol. I'm sure a lot of people indulged and over-indulged. But here's the good news. Today is a new day. Why not get out there and work it off? And I mean, beyond pounding the pavement while lightening your wallet during Black Friday sales. I mean, for free! By running. ;)

Yes, I know its cold in quite a few places, but I have another seasoned runner here to give you tips on getting your run on when "the hawk" is threatening to swoop in.

Kristy Duckworth of KristyRuns.com was kind enough to put her two cents in on how to get in done. Check it out below.


Kristy:  Thanks so much for e-mailing me!  I definitely have a love/hate relationship with cold weather running.  I love that my running times seem to drop and runs just seem easier.  On the other hand, cold weather can be just as uncomfortable as running in the heat and humidity of Atlanta summers if you're not ready for it.


How long have you been running?
I ran cross country throughout high school, but took a hiatus at UGA.  I started up after graduating, and I've been back running for 4 years.


What got you into running?
My older brother and dad are runners, and I wanted to join the fun!


What kept you motivated to run in cold weather when you first began?
I like to register for races in January and March, which keeps me motivated throughout the colder weather.  I also try to run with groups to keep me accountable.


What are the best ways to dress for running in temps under 60 degrees? 
 I don't like to be too warm when I run, so when it's over 50 degrees, I'm a shorts and t-shirt kind of gal.  Anything between 40 and 50 degrees, I add a warm hat, gloves, and arm sleeves.  Once it drops below 40, I wear tights and a long sleeve shirt in addition to the hat and gloves.  Once you warm up after a mile, it will actually feel 15 degrees warmer to you.  Whenever I'm unsure about what to wear, I love to consult the Runner's World What to Wear guide.  You enter the temperature, cloud cover, wind, and other info, and it tells you what you need!


What’s the lowest temperature that you’ve ran in? Would you recommend doing that? 
Last January seemed to be extra brutal.  I would frequently run in temperatures in the upper teens!  At that point, I layer as much as possible, wearing multiple tights, several shirts with a warm outer-layer, gloves, hat, and a scarf I can pull over my face.  I think if you're dressed right, you can run in any temperature.


Is there any particular gear/brand that you’d recommend?
I love arm sleeves!  They add warmth without adding extra layers.  Plus, you can just pull them down if you get too hot instead of having to wrap a shirt around your waste (annoying).


What would be your dream gear (if any) to have?
 I would love to own a pair of CW-X Compression tights!  http://cw-x.com/ExploreProducts.aspx?product=tights&by=activity&gender=womens  At $120, they're a little expensive though!  ;)

Love this! Kristy, thanks for taking time out to answer my questions. I really appreciate your tips and input.

Kristy also owns & operates a running tour company, Atlanta Running Tours that I mentioned on the blog awhile ago. I still think that's so cool.

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend!
To great running & great health!

1 comment:

  1. I have never been a runner but these are helpful tips....I will be hitting the gym for my weekly turbo kick class when I get back home to work off alllll this turkey.

    jen
    http://blankwhiteframes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Speak on it