Wednesday, November 16, 2011

CANDIDA - What is it? What is the candida diet?

photo from www.thescenefromme.com

Hi Lovelies,

Some posts ago, I mentioned a candida detox diet but did not go into details. Eight days later (it seems), I'm posting this info now only to realize that I've had a change of heart.
Just continue reading and hopefully, you'll understand.


Candida is a yeast-like fungus that occurs naturally in the human body. Normally, it lives in harmony with a variety of other microorganisms and actually performs a couple important functions. A problem occurs when something upsets the balance of bacteria in the body. Allowing the organism to proliferate and take over all the healthy microorganisms. That something could be a number of things that can include stress, antibiotics, diet and the list goes on.

The symptoms of candida are not limited to a simple, tell-tell vaginal yeast infection but may or may not include that among other signs like athlete's foot, gas & bloating, skin rashes & disorders, cravings, low sex-drive and trust me, the list goes on.

For more information on candida click here and here.

Because I strongly believe that what we eat plays a major role in our health, I scoured the web searching for a diet appropriate to battling candida. What I found was quite similar amongst the different sites.

So here goes.  And yes...it may sting a little. :(


Items To Avoid While on A Candida Detox Diet:
All sugars and sugar-contained food including table sugar, fructose, corn syrup, honey, molasses, maple sugar and date sugar.

All white flour and white flour products. All yeast-containing pastries, breads, crackers, pastas, etc.

All cheese except ricotta, cottage and cream cheese.
Artificially sweetened drinks and food products.
Avoid alcoholic beverages.
Avoid all fruit juices, fruits (fresh, canned, or dried) until yeast is abated. Fresh lemon or lime may be used in water, or as a substitute for vinegar in salad dressings.

All coffee and tea (even herbal). Except pau de arco tea.
Chlorinated tap water.
All processed meats such as bacon, sausage, ham, hot dogs, luncheon meats, corned beef, and pastrami.

Old leftovers. If food has been in the fridge for more than 3 days, do not eat it. Leftovers may be frozen.

Obvious fungus foods: mushrooms, blue cheese, etc.

Peanuts and peanut products: peanut butters. Use almond butter.

All vinegar-soaked products or vinegar dressings: pickles, pickle relish etc. Lemon juice may be substituted from vinegar in recipes.

Brewers yeast B vitamins made from yeast, yeast breads, pastries, cracker and pretzels that contain yeast.
Woo-oo-sa-ah.
Now, I have no problem admitting that I'm having a bit of trouble committing to this. Aside from loving fruit, I enjoy a good cocktail or glass (or two) of wine here and there.

Also, when I really think about it, seems like the candida issue can be dealt with by other diet plans like Carolyn Akens Body Rejuvenation Detox program or Kris Carr's "Crazy Sexy Diet". Hmmm, the more I ponder this, the more I think that I should take the baby steps (in my mind) and do the things that I've done before when detoxing. How about I see where that takes me. Assess the outcome and go from there.

I think I like that idea a lot better.
Lol.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for info. Some home remedies for yeast infection are made to kill off the yeast. One such method is by using yogurt. Not only is yogurt good to eat, but it has good bacteria in it that eat yeast.
    Candida

    ReplyDelete

Speak on it