Wednesday, September 28, 2011

GREEN SMOOTHIE with CHARD

Seems like its been a minute since I'd had or even posted about an actual green smoothie. So to help aid in my body's healing, I had to whip up one. My choice of green was Chard.

Chard is packed with nutrition. It is an excellent source of vitamins C, E, and K, carotenes, chlorophyll, and fiber. It is also an excellent source of several minerals including potassium, magnesium, iron, and manganese. Chard is also a good source of many other nutrients including vitamin B6, protein, calcium, thiamine, selenium, zinc, niacin, and folic acid.

Chard is one of the most powerful anti-cancer foods due to its combination of traditional nutrients; phytochemicals, chlorophyll, other plant pigments, and soluble fiber. The generous amount of vitamin K that is contained in chard is especially beneficial in the maintenance of bone health.


In this smoothie, I had some organic Chard, two frozen bananas, and an orange.


I made sure that I washed the greens well. I'm tempted to buy some veggie wash of some sort but everytime I look at the pricetag, it makes me cringe like a vampire's reaction to garlic. I just can't. So I opt with washing it the old fashion way. Seems like I've heard that you can use hydrogen peroxide to clean your veggies, but I'll have to research that one before I try it out.

Since my appetitie wasn't for much, I added some Hemp protein to the mix. And my liquid of choice was some distilled water.



And voila!!

Good and delicious!

I also made a smoothie with Chard, a frozen banana and a big, juicy plum. It was unexpectedly good. Even thru my then, warped sense of smell & taste, it was delicious. My apologies for not taking pics of it.


3 comments:

  1. yum! i'm going to try this out this weekend - i'll let you know if i like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks good - I want to try a green smoothie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks goood!..Thanks for sharing :0)

    ReplyDelete

Speak on it