Thursday, July 14, 2011

RUNNING AND WHEATGRASS SHOTS

Hey Y’all! *in my strongest southern accent*

 I’m just checking in to let you lovelies know that I’ll be back to blogging on Monday, July 25th. I’ve enjoyed my break thus far but do look forward to coming back and interacting with everyone.

What’ve I been up to? Well, let’s see… chillin’ in between running my daughter back & forth to her cheer gym. I’ve seen a few movies, celebrated with friends & fam, and ran the Peachtree Road Race (PTRR). Fun stuff.
A piece of the crowd before the race.

And speaking of the latter, I had a blast at the race! If you don’t know, the PTRR is touted as the world’s largest 10K (6.2 miles). I went with my daughter’s aunt (so proud of her), her cousin and met up with a couple of friends. Everyone finished. Woo hoo! And yes, that is a big deal because out of 60,000 racers, only 55,090 crossed the finish line. Congrats to all!!  I hope to expand my fellow running group next year.
A piece of the crowd after the race.
The race is always on July 4th.  And has been for 42 years, so it’s definitely an Atlanta tradition. As one of my facebook friends once said, it was hot as dragon’s breath. Seriously.  You’re running against heat and humidity, which showed little mercy. I don’t think the weather was hot like that last year.  And hopefully, it won’t be next year cause at times, it was a struggle.

And talk about crazy energy.  On the way to the race we met a woman who described it as a “big party”. I couldn’t agree with her more. Throughout the PTRR course, there are various bands playing. There was even a rapper hyping and “moving” the crowd along this year. A multitude of onlookers cheer and encourage you all along the route. Then you have various bold or just plain crazy, participants suited up to run in some outrageous outfits. My fav from this year were two female runners dressed as troll dolls. Hair completely trolled out. Yes. Lol. And for the heat, water is given out & sprayed on the crowd of runners at various points. So necessary.

I didn’t run the entire race, due to half-ass training on my part. But I’m still pleased with my time of 1:21:00. I hope plan to run the entire race in 1:00:00 race next year. Hell, or at least, close to it. Cardiac Hill (or suicide hill) got me again. It’s basically a hill on top of a hill, about midway through the course. I ran half of it. For me, it’s a beast that I must conquer next year.

I will continue to run cause that’s my “thing” now. Before, I was a straight aerobic/weight person. Then, it’s like I went on a break and am totally interested in running. Don’t get me wrong, I still get my workout in but my emphasis is on running now. I’ve ran before, but I didn’t stick with it. I think I lost interest or something.  Now, I’m totally enthralled with it. I find it challenging yet mentally therapeutic. Go figure.  *shrugs*

Anyhoo, I’m running a 5K in August, and another one in September. The August race is actually the last one in the Atlanta TrackClub’s season. I’m really looking forward to it because it will be around Chastain Park so I already envision a nice run under lots of shaded trees.  I was briefly entertaining the thought of running the Atlanta Half Marathon (13.1 miles) on Thanksgiving Day. Training for it begins at the end of August. However, my daughter is interested in running a 5K (3.1 miles) with me that day. Yay! And what can I say? Gotta encourage positive habits in the kids. J Btw, she’s drinking wheatgrass shots now. Winning!!
source


Endeavoring to master the 5K’s may be for the best, before I fast forward to half marathons. Hell, I haven’t even run a full 6.2 miles yet. What was I thinking?! Another year along with a handful of various races should give me plenty opportunity to get my 10K skills up to par and strong by the time PTRR 2012 rolls around. Once I completely run it, I’ll fully focus on conquering a half-marathon. Hell yeah!

Well, that’s enough of my babbling for now. I’ll be back in full blogging effect on the 25th. In the meantime, my daughter and I will be hitting the Car & Bike show this weekend. Hope it’s good!

What are your plans for the weekend?....

4 comments:

  1. So nice to read from you CO, I'm with you I love running it is very therapeutic...hell, maybe one day I'll run in a race, I sure hope so. I think I WOULD LOVE THAT. I've always wanted to do the breast cancer walk/race. God willing I'll be blessed to do so.

    Good luck to you in your running and all. And, yet again you have made another healhy drink...that is looking good!:))

    Take care,

    zainab1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Zainab1! Didn't know you were into running, also. Awesome! When you do your race, please let me know. I'd love to hear about it.

    {{Hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, huge congrats. So proud of you. Keep winning :)
    Good to hear that you are coming back to your regular updates. I have missed you.

    Have a fantastic weekend. Love you!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats this looks like fun!

    i'm running a 5k in nashville this august!

    ReplyDelete

Speak on it