Sugar is one of the most addictive substances of all. It qualifies as an addictive substance for two reasons. First, eating even a small amount creates a desire for more and second, suddenly quitting causes withdrawal symptoms such as headaches, mood swings, cravings and fatigue.
Without being aware of it, sugar is something you probably consume on a daily basis. Most products in the standard American diet contain highly refined sugar, although it is sometimes hidden in the forms of sucrose (table sugar), dextrose (corn sugar), and high-fructose corn syrup. Like heroin, cocaine and caffeine, sugar is an addictive and destructive drug yet we consume it daily in everything from cigarettes to bread. Many foods we eat on a regular basis are loaded with sugar. You will find sugar in everything from cereals to soups all the way to condiments like ketchup. You’re not able to taste the sugar but its still there. It could be under the form of high fructose corn syrup, sucrose or dextrose or maltose. Even flue-cured tobacco can contain as much as 20% sugar by weight. So be mindful and aware.
Here are some names that sugar can go by on labels:
• corn syrup
• corn syrup solids
• diastatic malt
• ethyl maltol
• fruit juice
• fruit juice concentrate
• glucose solids
• golden sugar
• golden syrup
• grape sugar
• high-fructose corn syrup
• invert sugar
• malt syrup
• refiner's syrup
• sorghum syrup
15 REASONS TO PUT THAT SUGAR INTAKE IN CHECK
1. Sugar can suppress the immune system.
2. Sugar can cause hyperactivity, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, and crankiness in children.
3. Sugar contributes to the reduction in defense against bacterial infection (infectious diseases).
4. Sugar causes a loss of tissue elasticity and function, the more sugar you eat the more elasticity and function you loose.
5. Sugar interferes with absorption of calcium and magnesium.
6. Sugar may make eyes more vulnerable to age-related macular degeneration.
7. Sugar can cause premature aging.
8. Sugar contributes to obesity
9. Sugar greatly assists the uncontrolled growth of Candida Albicans (yeast infections).
10. Sugar can cause hemorrhoids.
11. Sugar can lower the amount of Vitamin E (alpha-Tocopherol) in the blood.
12. Sugar can interfere with the absorption of protein.
13. Sugar causes food allergies.
14. Sugar can exacerbate PMS.
15. Sugar can cause hormonal imbalance; some hormones become under active and others become overactive.