Thursday, April 23, 2009

UMM UMM GOOD!!


Good Morning Beautifuls!

I hope that all is well in your world. I honestly have been struggling with myself as far as attaining my dietary goals of a 70 to 75% raw vegan diet. I've come to realize that my biggest battle is my thinking. I am not the most patient person in the world and on top of that, I can be a bit rigid in my thinking. For example, I want a Greenstar juicer and a Blendtec blender and feel like I need those appliances to successfully carry out the vision that I have for myself. However, I have to save funds to purchase those appliances. This requires time. Here's where my "rigidity" comes in... I struggle with feeling like I absolutely have to have those particular items to successfully begin this journey. Now note this: I have a blender and a personal blender/grinder. Yeah. So I've had to put myself in check and break out the items I have and put them to good use. And so far so good. When I get to the point where I can afford my Greenstar and Blendtec that will be wonderful. But until then, I'm gonna use what I have until I can.

Here's some delicious, healthy smoothies I've made so far:

The Green Smoothie from TheRawMochaAngel
2 oranges
2 bananas
3 collard leaves, de-stemmed
3/4 C water
If it's your first time attempting a "green" drink, you can use one collard leaf. You can also substitute a different green. I used kale in mine. Or you could use spinach.


Green Smoothie from IntheRaw
3 handfuls fresh baby spinach
1 C frozen mixed berries
1/4 inch fresh ginger, grated (yummy)
2 C water


Both of these recipes are very tasty. If you need to, you can add a natural sweetener like agave, stevia or honey to taste. Always use distilled or filtered water and organic fruits and vegetables.

personal tip: Instead of ice, I use frozen fruit. After my bananas ripen, I cut them up and put them in a ziploc bag. I'm careful to squeeze as much air out as possible and then I toss them in the freezer until I need them. It really helps to prep beforehand as much as possible. If I have any leftover smoothie, I put it in a mason jar and put it in the freezer or fridge.

Have you tried any delish and healthy smoothie recipes lately?...

5 comments:

  1. If it's any consolation, I don't own a Greenstar or a Blendtec either. But, it hasn't stopped me from making the transition from a verrrrry S.A.D. eater to a raw, living one. You can do it!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. yo!! That sounds like a serious mad dash for the toilet! I'm feeling stomach pains reading all those fruits and veggies that go into those smoothies! LOL!! Healthy is good, wish I could do it but my tummy don't like!! Keep up the good work!

    Kim
    http://www.kimdom-come.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks earthmother! I think I've finally realized that I just need to "do it" and let everything else fall into place.

    Hi KIM! I'm trying to stick to green smoothies for this weekend. I'll definitely let everyone know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi chocolateOrchid,

    tahnk you for the recipes. they came just in time as i am on my way back to a healthy (best: raw) diet. so pleaase keep us posted with your yummy smoothie recipes.making and drinking smoothies makes it easy for me to stay on my way. BTW, your blog is fab!

    Love (from Germany), Monika

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Monika!! Thanks for visiting my blog! You're motivating me to try out more smoothies! =)
    Germany....how coool. =)

    Take care,
    ChocolateOrchid

    ReplyDelete

Speak on it